Sunday 26 January 2014

The power of simplicity

In our relationship with God, we want to experience most of what is available to us. Our very human problem is that we seek complicated ways to get to God in order to experience Him. This is what is known as religion. Religion is us seeking a God we don't understand and experience on our own terms. There is a much better way. The fact is, God reveals Himself to us every day. The simplicity of the Gospel makes us aware of His Presence. Our religious ideas make us even less aware of God.

How do I then get to experience Him? Well, He reveals Himself in different ways. He reveals Himself primarily through His Word, and through people who already experiece Him. He is the Head, we are the body. If I want to reveal myself to people, it will be through my body, right? So it is with God. Look for Him in His body, the church. Not in religious denominations and buildings, in people. Those who understand His love. It will be simple, not complicated. When you see it, recognize it, and you will be more aware of Him.

Firstly, I believe the preachers have an important role to play.
Rom10:13 For everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord [invoking Him as Lord] will be saved.
:14 But how are people to call upon Him Whom they have not believed [in Whom they have no faith, on Whom they have no reliance]? And how are they to believe in Him [adhere to, trust in, and rely upon Him] of Whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher?
:15 And how can men [be expected to] preach unless they are sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings! [How welcome is the coming of those who preach the good news of His good things!]

All preachers unfortunately don't know Him. Some are complicated and religious. But there are some that do. Here's how to spot them. Firstly, if they're always angry, walk away. If they preach to you that you must change and be better, walk away. I want to know Jesus, not more of myself. If they preach the love of Christ, and the finished work of the cross, listen closely. If they then go on and tell you that everyone is already saved, and that faith isn't necessary for salvation and that some just don't know it yet, walk away! The simple Gospel is the powerful one.

1Cor 1:18 For the story and message of the cross is sheer absurdity and folly to those who are perishing and on their way to perdition, but to us who are being saved it is the 
[manifestation of] the power of God.

1Cor 1: 22 For while Jews [demandingly] ask for signs and miracles and Greeks pursue philosophy and wisdom,
:23 We preach Christ (the Messiah) crucified, [preaching which] to the Jews is a scandal and an offensive stumbling block [that springs a snare or trap], and to the Gentiles it is absurd and utterly unphilosophical nonsense.

:24 But to those who are called, whether Jew or Greek (Gentile), Christ [is] the Power of God and the Wisdom of God.

The cross of Christ is the power and wisdom of God. Faith in the cross of Christ brings that power and wisdom to us. If the Word of the Gospel don't enter our hearts, we will not experience it. He IS the Word. The Word is Spirit and Life (John6:63), the Word is God (John1:1).

The more I hear how much He loves me, the more I will be conscious of His love for me. The more I hear that He paid the price for my sin in full, the less I will be inclined to pay the price myself. The more I hear about His love for me, the less I will be conscious of my own sinfulness. He did it. Now it is about getting to know Someone so wonderful that He would die for a sinner. Don't look far. He is in you (I'm speaking to believers). If you're not yet saved, just pray, and ask Him to wash you in His blood and come into your heart. If I go and look for Him far far away, I am not conscious of His here with me. I will not go and seek something if I know I have it with me.

The big problem is what we hear. We heard so much religious nonsense, that we got stuck on believing God is not with us. We became blind and deaf to Him. He is with you. He can hear and see you, even if you don't yet experience Him. Talk to Him. Ask Him every day to reveal Himself to you, and to lift the veil of religion from you. Never meditate on your sin. If you missed it, believe in His blood that was shed for you and thank Him for forgiveness. There is no question about forgiveness. He wants you to receive it so you can get your eyes of yourself and your past, and start to experience Him. The cross renders your efforts completely irrelevant, and also your mistakes. No sin can keep you away from Him, only unbelief in His grace. This turning away from self to Christ is true repentance.

So forget the past, be bold towards Jesus, and ask Him to show Himself. Keep on hearing the good news of Christ. Stop hearing the law. Before long your heart will burn with His love and you will experience Him stronger than ever.

No comments: